Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Finding Our Vocation

As a recent graduate of Georgetown College, I have been blessed to be in an environment that challenges me to discover my vocation. I have learned that it is not something that I will find but something I do, which is never complete. As I live out my life, I live out my vocation. Finding our vocation is ordering our lives in a fashion that fosters an understanding in which the needs of the world and the desires of our heart and mind intersect. But I have come to another understanding about this quest. I am fortunate to be in a social class that allows me to seek my vocation. I can challenge every person I meet to begin thinking about what their vocation is, but many are not in the position to ask such questions. It is very unfortunate that many people cannot reflect upon their gifts and desires to pursue those. Some may be stuck in a job they do not like, but it pays the bills. Since I am on this side of beginning my career, I am able to direct my career and life towards my vocation. But it is very important to not limit our vocation to our career, but to our way of life. If my vocation is to inspire children but I am stuck behind a desk from day to day, I can still find many children's lives to connect mine with throughout my community. As I hope to always ask how my life reaches out to the needs of the world, I hope to remember how blessed I am even to ask this question. Maybe our vocations should seek to help others begin the quest of vocation in their own lives despite any job they many find themselves in.
dr

4 comments:

Kyle said...

I'd like to think that my vocation might be shooting squirrels with a pistol. Or is that more of a career path?

Anonymous said...

Kyle,
If I could see you shooting a gun, then I would gladly claim that you shooting squirrels with a pistol is definitely your vocation. I have a gun you know, if you need it.
dr

Top Cat said...

Kyle,

Wake up to yourself and get some cop on...guns are for freaks and weirdos, not for gallant heros such as yourself...the ladies will lvoe you more if you lose the gun!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!